Saturday, November 16, 2013

Bel Air/Conowingo Dam/Port Deposit Loop



Ride Info
Date:November 16, 2013 (or some other Saturday around then)
Approx. Mileage:50
Approx. Time:1 hour, 30 minutes.
Features:Fall foliage, Conowingo Dam
RidersBikes
Dan2004 Suzuki SV650S

The weather was nice-ish one day back in November (I'm actually writing this on December 23, 2013) and I had some time available on a Saturday.  It was a little chilly, but not so much that it was unbearable.  I had just purchased some warm weather riding gloves and pants and I wanted to try them out.  They made the ride much more tolerable.

I actually left my house, but to make sure I don't disclose my home address, I will document my rides from public areas.  In this case, the Harford Mall in Bel Air, MD.

I headed out along Rte. 22 from Bel Air toward Aberdeen.  Rte. 22 can be a little more busy than I like, so I took a left onto Rte 136.  It's a nice ride through the country and includes a narrow bridge crossing of Deer Creek.

After about 5 miles on Rte. 136, I turned right onto Rte. 1/Conowingo Road.  Rte. 1 can also be somewhat susceptible to traffic, but often it's a nice ride through the country.  The most significant sight on this portion of the ride is the Conowingo Dam, which doubles as a bridge across the  Susquehanna River.  To my left was Conowingo Lake, which is the reservoir created by the dam.  As you ride across the dam, it can appear as though you're at the same level as the water.  To the right, the dam drops almost straight down about 100 feet.  The bottom of the dam is rocky and you can see Rowland Island probably a quarter-mile downstream.


I took an immediate right after crossing the dam onto Susquehanna River Road/Rte. 222 South toward Port Deposit, MD.

About a half-mile along Rte 222 I saw an interesting arch bridge crossing Octoraro Creek off to the left.  Moore Road seems to go back in that direction and I'll have to investigate it when I have more time in the future.

But today I wanted to see the historic town of Port Deposit.  I've lived in Maryland for almost 15 years and had never been there.

Port Deposit was first visited by Captain John Smith in the early 1600s.

The day I rode through, it appeared a little dilapidated.  What can I say, it's a port town in November.  I assume it's very quaint in the summer when its streets are bustling with visitors.

There appeared to be a fun little s-curve under a railroad overpass, but because of cold tires and bumpy pavement, I opted to take it slow.

Leaving Port Deposit, the road winds its way to higher altitude.  I noticed a little sign noting that Rte 222 is a scenic byway.  It was very scenic.

I followed the signs to I-95 South and opened the throttle as I merged with traffic in preparation to cross the Tidings bridge back into Harford county.  I should probably mention that Tidings Bridge is a toll road when you are going northbound on 95.  Southbound, it is not.  So this loop is actually a toll-free ride as long as you cross over the Conowingo Dam (no toll in either direction) on your way to Cecil County.

After fewer than five miles of freeway riding, I took Exit 89 and headed west on Rte 155/Level Road.  I followed Level Road and passed a few slow-moving cars to Rte 22, then took an immediate left onto Rte 136 South.

I could have just stayed on the two lane highways, but I prefer the quieter roads, so I make a right onto Schucks Road and follow it to Wheel Road (crossing Rte 543) before turning right onto East MacPhail Road.

I pass castle-like manors, view various greens of the Maryland Golf & Country Club, and enjoy some pristine curves that attempt to follow Bynum Run.  Within a few short miles, I'm back into Bel Air and civilization.  East MacPhail is a fun little road, but I have to be cautious as I've seen many deer in the area, particularly in the fall and winter months when the deer come into town to find greener pastures (translated: lawns).

A right turn onto Rte 924 puts me on Bel Air's Main Street and its charming little village square.  One could spend hours window shopping the many boutiques and eating at the many ... er ... eateries.

I turn left onto Rte 22 and return to the mall where I started.  Along the way, I gaze at the pretty motorcycles lined up in front of Pete's Cycle.

All-in-all, this was a fun ride through my own back yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment