Saturday, December 21, 2013

Bel Air/Harford Road/Boordy Vineyards Loop

Ride Info
Date:December 21, 2013
Approx. Mileage:30
Approx. Time:1 hour
Features:Lots of curves and elevation changes.
RidersBikes
Dan2004 Suzuki SV650S

This weekend's weather was fantastic!

Saturday's high was around 65 degrees, so I decided to take a quick spin on the SV.  I only had about an hour of good daylight left, so I opted to take a short spin up Harford Road/Rte 147.

Starting at the mall, I headed south on Harford Road/Rte 147.  This route also doubles as the Rte 1 business loop for the first couple of miles.  Which means that I was in traffic until I hit the Rte 1 Bypass (which most people turn onto).

I followed Harford Road probably five or six miles before it began to get fun.  The curves continue a little past Gunpowder Falls State Park, and that's when you begin to get into the outskirts of Baltimore.

And that's where turned around and headed back.

But along the way, I spotted a sign pointing to Boordy Vineyards and decided to take a look, turning left onto Long Green Pike.  Long Green Pike has a number of quick elevation changes and I lifted the front wheel over a couple of them - honestly, I wasn't trying to.

I passed the vineyard on the left and noticed that they had wine tasting and tours.  I don't drink, but I may want to return to take a tour some day.

Continuing on, I came to a 4-way stop and decided to turn right onto Fork Road, which I knew would lead me back to Harford Road.  Fork Road is very treed and, when the pavement is dry (unlike it was on this ride) has the potential to be a fun little ride.

When I reached the traffic light where Harford Road intersected Fork Road, I turned left and returned to my starting point.

This ride was fun, but a few things were lacking:
1. The snow was melting furiously and every road I went on seemed to be wet.  Especially the ones in the twisty areas that don't get as much sun.
2. I noticed after the ride (while preparing the map for this post) that I was only a mile or so away from Loch Raven Reservoir.  Had I known that I probably would have made another detour to find a new favorite road.

No comments:

Post a Comment